This is a picture of one of the weirs at Cherry Hinton Hall. There are four weirs within the water course which is know as Hinton Brook. Hinton Brook flows from Spring Head at the Robin Hood Junction on the High Street of Cherry Hinton.
The weirs were put in place in the mid 1800's by John Okes, in conjunction with Cambridge University and Town Water Works Company, to help the flow of water through the grounds of the newly built Cherry Hinton Hall.
John Okes was a surgeon at Addenbrookes Hospital and had Cherry Hinton Hall built in 1835.
There is now a great new group 'Friends of Cherry Hinton Hall'
Friends of Cherry Hinton Hall
Cherry Hinton Community Archives
About Michelle's Archives
This is a blog page for the archives in Michelle's own collection. It includes many of Michelle's personal family archives, tales and scrapbook items to all kinds of general archive items mainly from around Cambridge and East Anglia but some even more further afield. Search for items or subjects of interest under the categories below, by date or keyword, name or place etc. Any problems finding something or if you've any questions or comments please do get in touch by using the 'Contact' page on this website.